Thursday, June 14, 2012

My third grandson, Sammy, has autism.  They are going to dismantle his school and build a new one.  This change is not comfortable for Sammy.  While they are building the new school, he will be going to my old school, Oxford School.  I keep trying to cheer him up with happy stories of how nice Oxford School is.  I don't think he's buying it.

So, to give my daughter a break, I took Sam and Nate out for the afternoon on the last sunny day we had.  We went to West Island Beach.  We were the only ones there.  They ran, threw stones, picked up shells, and just had fun experiencing that beautiful beach. 

The ocean is such a calming presence, isn't it?  It smells mysterious, feels cool, and has the rythmic sound of the waves, too! A sensory experience!! I know that the soft air, and watching the boys enjoy themselves was therapeutic for me.  I am suffering from allergy - related yuckiness.  The ocean air, really helped me, too.  And the boys had Fun.

We went back to my house afterwards and I gave them each a mini massage on the chair...and one on the table.  I had flute music playing, but Nate said it was spooky... he cracks me up! 

I have a big clawfoot bathtub and the boys enjoyed a bath ... with LOTS of water.  We watched a movie..."Happily Ever After"... the continuing story of Snow White and her Prince.  I remarked, "After the movie, we'll take you home, ok?"  To which Nate replied... "No, we haven't had ice cream yet..." And how can you argue with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment