Thursday, October 20, 2011

greetings fellow web travelers!

Ok. So how many of you remember the Rolling Stones hit "Dandelion?"  You know, the song you cranked up as you drove down the highway?  I loved the guitar work of Brian Jones and felt very sad when he passed.  Of course, I also loved the Beatles.  George Harrison was my favorite, and I actually cried when he died.  Music makes an impact.  Then followed Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Peter Paul and Mary, and I learned to sing and play guitar along with them.  Then Tryworks, a local church-run coffeehouse, came along.

The coffeehouse was run by a lovely woman from Belfast, Ireland and she hosted many performers from the British Isles.  The folk scene was alive and well in the 70s and I flew along with it.  The local university also had Ceilidhs (Kay-lees).  We got to hear such talents as Joe Heaney, The Boys of the Lough, Normand Kennedy, Jean Redpath, and my favorite, Liam O'Flynn.  The first time I heard the Irish pipe music - I could barely breath.  It is so beautiful. Those were very happy times. I never felt the need for drugs while I had this beautiful music all around.

I met my present husband at Tryworks.  However, we married about 15 yrs later! Ha!   I had two children from a previous marriage, a boy and a girl, and we had a son together.  It was his first marriage, and my daughter told him, "Now you have a fun life." And so we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment