Tuesday, December 13, 2011

So today, the repairman came to fix my washing machine.  Luckily the part was in warranty ,and I only had to pay for the labor.  Much cheaper than buying something comparable. 

My oldest son made my day today.  When I was younger, I did a lot of singing and playing guitar.  I played lots of Irish tunes, which were great for one voice and one guitar.  (and sometimes just the voice)  Anyway, he told me he'd had a rough night at work, and when he turned on his ipod "Follow Me Up To Carlow" came on.  It reminded him of the times when I would sing to him and his sister (the youngest was not born yet).  That memory cheered him up. 

I guess it is important for your children to see you enjoying yourself.  You need to let them know you enjoy having them and that they are special to you.  And let them see you having fun!  Include them if you can!

Here in New England we have a strong work ethic.  It is an admirable thing.  However, we also need to have a Fun ethic.  It is healthy to have wholesome outlets that you can share and enjoy either alone, as a couple, or as a family.

I still enjoy my guitar when I play with the Grupo Folclórico Madeirense.  My daughter and I sing at the family Mass once a month. 

Yes, I think sometimes people overlook the importance of having fun.

People ask me why I am taking courses at the University.  Well, the answer is simple:  I have always wanted to study languages.  For me, learning is fun.  I have met some great people, and have stretched my mind out of its comfort zone.  It's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment